Life is hard. You get banged up, scraped up, cut up, and let down. If you have never experienced this yet, someday, perhaps sooner than you think, you will. The muscles in your face will contort into great knots. Your entire body will rock from the power of your sobs. You will know what it is like to bare your teeth in agony, rather than pleasure.
And in the midst of this, life is also good. There are little moments of intense pleasure and satisfaction to be had in between the suffering, if you let yourself. Sit and be still. Allow yourself to be amused, amazed, delighted and enthralled by the little pleasures Life has to offer. The crispness of autumn mornings, the way you can see your breath on a cold night, the yielding of a pomegranate’s seeds are all cause for small introspective savoring or giddy celebration.
In the time of suffering, these pleasures can a moment of calm in a tidal wave of sorrow, a breath before the waves crash again.
The Texture Of…
- Dried apricots on my tongue
- Labne in a silver spoon
- The red tank top that I forgot at my love’s and has disappeared
- Smooth stones between my fingers
- Ridged sea shells in my hands
- Turkish towels
- Moss stitch knitted garments
- Pomegranate seeds that resist tenderly at first.
- The rough stubble of my love’s chin against my neck
Are among my favorite sensations. What are yours?